USA Swimming Executive Director Chuck Wielgus established Safe Sport in 2010 to raise awareness and reduce the risk of abuse of athletes.
The following is the decision-tree process for parents or athletes with concerns:
Reporting a concern can often feel intimidating and overwhelming. Please use these guidelines to help you on the first step “Where do I report?” Please use the provided links which will additionally help you get in touch with the appropriate people.
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list. If you are not sure who to contact with a concern please contact Safe Sport Staff at the National Office and we will be sure to talk through your concern, answer your questions and connect you with the correct people.
If Your Safe Sport Concern Deals with Any of the Following:
- Sexual Misconduct
- Sexual Harassment
- Criminal Charges
- Use, Sale, or Distribution of illegal drugs
- Physical Abuse
- Inappropriate Touching
- Lap Sitting
- Coaches sharing hotel rooms with Athletes
- Rubdown or Massage performed by coaches
- Pictures or video taken in locker rooms or changing areas
- Sexually Explicit/Inappropriate Communication through Social Media